call us today
Pros and Cons of DIY-ing vs. Buying Furniture?
Perhaps you’re the handy type who thinks you can take on any furniture-making project yourself. And maybe that’s true, but it’s always wise to consider the pros and cons of doing it yourself versus buying a ready-made product. Let’s explore some now.
- Can be more cost effective
- You can take pride in the outcome
- You can pass the furniture on to your kids/grandkids
- You control the timing of the project
- You can custom design your own piece of furniture
- Furniture-making may be a fun and stress-reducing hobby for you
- You’ll have a one-of-a-kind piece of furniture
- The piece may not turn out to function as you expected
- Your project may take a lot longer than intended
- You can hurt yourself using power tools
- You may not have adequate space in your house to craft the project
- Furniture making can be very messy
- Unless you’re meticulous, the outcome may look incredibly flawed
- You may end up spending more money in the long-run if you have to get a pro involved
- You may not have help transporting the finished piece from point A to point B
A lot to consider! Now we’ll review the pros and cons of buying ready-made!
- The construction of the furniture can be top-of-the-line
- Some ready-made furniture are heirloom pieces you can pass down through generations
- The piece will likely be delivered and set up in your home by professionals
- You can easily visualize a finished, ready-made product in your home setting
- Crafted by experts
- Stress-free since the work is already done for you
- Can be very pricey
- May not be one-of-a-kind
- Might be imported/not American-made
- May not be worthy of passing down through generations
- May take a long time to custom build
- May take a long time to deliver
So you can see there are plenty of reasons you should or should not DIY as well as plenty of reasons why you should or should not buy ready made. The best idea is to take some time to carefully weigh the pros and cons of both before making your decision. Research both paths and determine which is right for you. In the end, it doesn’t matter how you end up with a piece of furniture that you can love for a lifetime, as long as you love what you get!